Wowee
Yowzers. These
days. Not only are they bone-wearying,
soul-depleting exhausting days, but I find myself saying things like:
No, I don’t want you to bring a lizard into the house.
Stop raking your sister.
I just sat in pee.
(This was courtesy Benjamin, in the kitchen chair. How did my life end up like this?)
Homeschooling has hit a rocky patch. Andy doesn’t want to do it, and he finds
every way possible to accomplish that.
From downright refusing to do the work to using every stall tactic he
can invent to purposefully getting into trouble so that I’ll punish him, our
school days are long and hard. Do I
increase his work load the more he hems and haws? Serving out his punishment doing chores or in
his room doesn’t seem to be the trick.
Schoolwork as negative consequences isn’t exactly the message I’m trying
to send either. So this week, with two
days left until Halloween, I’m going to throw down a big mom card. He either finishes his schoolwork or no
trick-or-treating. Which will be
TERRIBLE! But as I will tell his older
self, I feel he’s left me no choice.
Doing things like repeatedly bringing lizards into the house. Or, as he’s serving out his punishment of
raking the yard to work out all his aggression, he decides to literally, rake
his sister. This was of course, after he
spit in her hair.
Benjamin also hit a rocky patch. After 12 hours of him pulling on my pants and
screaming at me in frustration, I am so emotionally spent that its no wonder
I’ve yet to record the latest milestones (for my reference, Andy lost his
second tooth and Benjamin calls himself Benja).
We blame everything else on Benjamin and the lack of sleep in Mama he’s
responsible for – let’s blame the neglected blog on him as well.
The thing about Benjamin that separates him from the first
two is his persistence. Mind you, the
other two were no walk in the park at this stage of life. They pitched fits and fell to the ground in a
puddle of frustrated tears because they couldn’t communicate clearly. Benjamin,
however, seems to lack the good sense to know when he’s beat and to just give
up the fight. You would think after the
first time he cries himself into a frenzy that ends in vomiting that he’d get
the message. No matter how upset he
gets, no matter how hard he pulls on my pants, Mama is not going to get him a
cookie every time he wants one. And yes,
I am the mean mom who lets her distraught two year old work himself up to the
point of gagging. You see, Benjamin has
always lacked the ability to soothe himself.
He has to ride the storm out. And
if it ends in throw up, so be it. Even
as a tiny baby, we’d get on this crazy wheel.
Nothing, and I mean nothing, would calm him down or pull him out of his
fury. Eventually Mama learned enough
about this high maintenance baby to be able to prevent these upsets, but now,
short of spending every minute of my day ruled by a two-year-old's whims, its happening with more frequency. Poor baby. He does it to himself, he just doesn't know any better. And poor Mama is having a hard time teaching him how to work through this.
So future Mama-self, when you are missing your littles, here's a picture of everyday life in all its glorious messiness.
Labels: Andy, Benjamin, Elizabeth, homeschool

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home