Ouch
It finally happened. My rubber for legs, indestructable son finally did it. He really hurt himself. And twice in one week.
At Nana's house, he climbed his first tree. Not an actual tree, but a really big bush that is missing its leaves due to Papaw's recent hacking. He could scurry up the limbs and finally stopped when he was about level with the top of the fence. Far too high for his mom's comfort. Good thing I was at the office for this one. Being an independent fellow, he refused Nana's offer to help him navigate his way down. A novice tree climber + Crocs = a pretty serious fall. He escaped with only some scratches on his back. He's still up for another tree climb.
A few days later, he and Elizabeth took all the cushions off the couch so they could jump. When I walked out of the room, Andy decided to stand the cushion on its side, climb on top of the cushion and make a flying leap to the couch. Or so I reconstruct the scene. He wasn't successful in his leap and landed chin first on the coffee table. He comes running, I scoop him up and when he pulls his head away, he leaves blood on my shoulder. Since I've been down this road before, a quick look confirms that yep, he blew his chin open. But its Saturday. Which means we're going sit for hours in the ER before he gets stitched up. Dada, a newbie when it comes to children requiring stitches, thinks we can put a bandaid on it and maybe wait until Monday. He now knows better. A quick call to the pediatrician to see what my options are and the wonderful Dr Vicki calls back to let me know that she's out running errands but can meet me at her office. I could have cried, I was so thankful.
Andy was scared and I knew it'd be helpful for him to be with someone he knows, and someone who knows how to handle him. It was a little dicey to begin with, but Dr Vicki was able to calm him down enough that by the time she was waving that little needle in front of his face, he was holding his head still.
I feel I should mention again how amazing it was that my pediatrician met us at her office on a Saturday. This just does not happen.
So Andy's been sporting some blue whiskers this week. Just in time for picture day at school.
My wildman. I have a feeling we're just getting warmed up with the adventures.
Labels: Andy

1 Comments:
Just for the record.....it was not a big bush but in fact, a tree .... one that requires professional tree pruners .... don't minimize my boy's ability. He did, however, stay far away from it today when we were outside. Let's hope the lesson sticks. I will add, there is a reason your mother told you not to jump on beds and furniture because you could get hurt ..... just saying ....
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home