Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thursday

You know, it really is the little things in life.

The kids are still in their jammies.  Or jams as they are better known around here.  They've taken all the cushions off the (free) couch and are jumping around.  Elizabeth apparently is jumping "supa high."  When the day comes that we have to replace our (free) couch because of saggy springs and one too many milk spills, I'm not sure how the kids are going to take it that they can't sit on the couch, let alone jump on it.  But I digress. 

After a rather rough and early start to the day (why oh why have they sychronized watches to wake up at 6am?), we had pancakes for breakfast.  Cue Rachel's voice: which I made.  From scratch.  In this case, it wasn't a traditional English trifle but wholewheat blueberry pancakes.  Elizabeth won't eat fresh fruit so I have to cram nutrition into the things she will eat. 

After my first attempt at homemade laundry detergent - yes, I am pretty skeptical about this one.  But some super moms I know are doing it and I figure its worth a shot - we'll have lunch and then think about getting out of our jams while I figure out what to make for dinner.  The life of a stay at home mom.  Glamorous it is not.   But I still love it (well, mostly).

And there are some days where I'd like the luxury of a little disposable income - I wouldn't care about the money savings of making your own laundry detergent - but would I really give all this up to be a big career woman?  Not for a second.  When its all said and done and my kids are grown, I'll have the rest of my life to work to save for my retirement.  And I know that no amount of money in my 401k would replace the memory of hearing that little baby voice as she jumps "supa high.  [on] my side, my side." 

Yes, there are plenty of moments that I would gladly pay someone else to be the referee, to put Andy in timeout for the millionith time that day or to potty-train Elizabeth.  But let's add another cliche to the mix; the sum is more than the whole of its parts.  Despite all the moments that make me want to pull my hair out or get in the car and never come back, I know that being at home with my kids is the place God has for me.  When the day comes that they grow up and leave our little nest, I'll be able to look over their childhood and know that we spent it together.  That I got to enjoy the moments with them and not somebody else.  That it was me who was frustrated when Elizabeth got into the flour this morning and Andy pulled out every single sippy cup to find the perfect one.  And that its me who gets to kiss Elizabeth at naptime and then go rest with Andy while we watch Cars2.      

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home