Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Benjamin turns 3

It happened.  My baby is officially no longer a baby.  Even at 3, I still call him "baby."  Andy is "boy", Elizabeth is "girl", Sam is "dog", so Benjamin's label remains "baby."  I will try to come up with a new one before Benjamin is 7.  Ok, ok, before he turns 10. 

Poor third baby, it doesn't help having a birthday where the family is already gathered and there's already fun stuff going on.  Lucky for Mama, I've got a few more years before he realizes it. 

We spent a fun, fun day with everyone at the condo.  Lots of beach time, lots of pool time, sparklers in the yard.  Benjamin was with (almost) all of his favorite people, he got to blow out his candles.  This we had to do twice because blowing out candles is one of Benjamin's favorite activities.  I'm not exactly sure how this developed, but he loves to "blow out candles, blow out cccaaannnndddllllleeeessss!!!!!" So for his birthday, he got to blow them out twice as we didn't even start singing by the time he blew them out the first time.  I'm pretty sure this was the highlight of his birthday.  Two sets of candles. 

Three is turning out to be as hard as two.  I'm hopeful it won't be harder.  I know its (mostly) not your fault that you are such a tough baby, and now tough preschooler.  Mama doesn't even know what to type into Google to help her navigate this high-maintenance boy. 

Your short temper plus a 3-year-old mindset is not a winning combination.  It results in many, many tantrums.  But unlike your siblings (or any other 3-year-old I've encountered), you don't seem to get that screaming and crying don't accomplish much with your Mama.  She seems unperturbed by it, except after 30+ minutes of irrational tantrums.  But I think you would test even Mother Teresa's patience.  What's more, your tantrums have always had a unique layer to them, where you seem immune to any outside interference.  Plus, at some point in your fit, you shift from screaming about being denied the object of your affection to crying that Mama has abandoned you. And therein lies the sticking point for Mama; how to comfort you yet teach you.  Oh Benjamin.  Its never been easy with you.  Nothing in your short and action-packed three years has been easy.  Not your birth (now, that's a good story), nor you breaking your wrist and thus ending your thumb-sucking at 14 months, nor your refusal to sleep, even still. 

But there are so many wonderful and funny things about you, that are all you.  These are what I will remember when I look back on my 3-year-old Benja.  The wild boy who rides his bike like a maniac, and whose feet move like a demon on his tricycle.  The helmet head who loves to watch the shadow of his hair bouncing around with him on the "tp" (trampoline).  The fearless boy who swims like I can't believe, flinging himself off the waterfall, diving down to the bottom, swimming swimming swimming.  My funny boy who tells me he wants to "wear my bathin SUUUIIITTTT" so he can "go swim a' Nana's." My baby who alternately adores and abhors his siblings, his Inny and his Diddy.  My snuggly baby, who wants Mama to "seep, seep" on the pillow next to him.  My high maintenance boy, my sweet baby.  Happy third birthday!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home