Friday, January 7, 2011

Lost and found

This morning I witnessed something amazing.

I'd tossed a diaper in the direction of the Diaper Champ, planning to dispose of it properly in a few minutes. Elizabeth went over to the Diaper Champ, picked up the diaper and put it in the receptacle. Amazing. She knew that's where the diaper belonged, so she put it there. I know there was intent behind her actions because she left the diaper in the receptacle. She didn't play with it, taking in and out. Something her Brother would have done.

Now I'm not enough of a child development expert to determine if this is due to the differences between boys and girls, or my kids' personalities.

However, I am certain that Andy is suffering from a condition common to all men (the exception would be my Dad. But no one else lives by his rule of a place for everything and everything in its place. That's just crazy).

Andy can't find anything. (Well, he can find trouble alright. In fact, trouble seems to follow him around.) He doesn't know where anything is, even when it is literally in his face. The following is a common exchange in our house.

"Mama, where's my (insert name of desired object here - Thomas, James, blankie, Mater)?"

"I don't know, Buddy. Where did you leave it?"

"Ummmmm, I don't know" said with that sweet little boy lilt in his voice that keeps me from getting irritated. When I have this same exchange with Bill (minus the Mama and Buddy part. That's a little creepy.), I can't say I don't get irritated. Sorry, honey!

In my attempts to raise the first male who does not suffer from male-refrigerator-blindness, or its related syndrome, male-pantry-blindness, I try to help Andy retrace his steps so we can find Thomas, or whatever we're looking for. To my dismay, it never works. Andy has to be standing on top of the object, with me givng him extremely specific directions as to its location.

And then he acts like he's the champ because he found it. What's a mother to do? So I cheer along with him. Perpetuating the cycle. Sorry, future daughter-in-law, about this one. But what can I say? Sometimes its just nice to be needed.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home