Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Chit chat

Andy has a penchant for narrating his day. His thoughts, his actions, every time Elizabeth might could possibly touch him or one of his belongings, or the air around him. I'm surprised he doesn't go to bed hoarse he talks so much.

I just can't pay attention to every sentence he utters. I just can't. I'd go crazy if I had to respond to every sentence because then I would be talking all day, and that's too much, even for me. And I come by my ability to talk a lot honestly. You know who you are. MOM! So consequently, I try to ignore him, or at least go 3 or 4 sentences before I respond. And I try to respond minimally - OK, yeah buddy, and the like.

Evidently, I can't outsmart my two-year-old. Today he decided that he would add "Mama" at the end of almost every sentence. So that I would know without a doubt, he was talking to me and expecting me to respond.

I do it, Mama.
I fall down, Mama.
I go get it, Mama.
I so funny, Mama.
Mmm, banana is gooood, Mama.
I found it, Mama.
Big one, little one, Mama.
Want brown Dada's cereal, Mama (that would be the chocolate frosted mini wheats he saw in the grocery store)

And on and on and on!

Its my fault, though. The over-achiever, trying to apply all my Babycenter knowledge. "Talk to your baby," they said. "Narrate your day," they continued, "it's the best way to expand your child's vocabulary."

What they neglected to tell you is what to do when this backfires. When you can't get your kid to pipe down. When your ears are about to fall off due to overuse.

I am, of course, mostly kidding. I could have the stress of the opposite problem, so I am thankful for my little chatterbox!





The only time he's quiet. Why he has to put two beads in his mouth is his secret.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At July 15, 2010 at 7:09 PM , Anonymous Nana said...

After having my precious grandchild living here for 4 or 5 days, I am certainly much more empathetic with your plight. Though, admittedly, you did bring it on yourself! To clarify --- the ability to carry on a conversation with the wind does NOT come from your mother, but more accurately - HER mother. Let the record reflect.

And I must say, I was a bit concerned for a minute by Andy talking about his "brown dada" --- glad to learn he was talking about cereal!

Oh my precious helmet-headed boy who reminds me of my own grown-up helmet headed boy! Watch out, world! You're in for a treat!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home